Airborne Infection Isolation Room (AIIR) Checklist Utilize this checklist to help ensure your AIIRs are ready to receive patients. For more details, refer to the ANSI/ASHRAE/ASHE Standard 170-2017 Ventilation of Health Care Facilities.
- Verify the room sensors are calibrated and working properly
- Verify room controllers and monitors are working and communicating with supply and exhaust airflow valves
- Verify the room is operating at a negative pressure relative to surrounding areas
- Verify room pressure is being properly documented
- Verify correct air changes per hour are taking place per CDC/ASHRAE standards
- Verify temperature and humidity ranges are in place per CDC/ASHRAE standards
- Verify room air is being exhausted directly outside through a HEPA filter
- Verify doors are being kept closed except during healthcare personnel entry/exit
- Confirm patient rooms are visible on your building automation system, for prompt notification of any issues
- Consider updating older supply and exhaust VAV boxes to a fast-acting Venturi air valve or measured airflow valve
- Plan for an influx of patients and how to address isolation requirements in your facility.
Current global concerns surrounding COVID-19 and Hotel Quarantine solutions are one of the many scenarios where the application of this checklist or parts thereof would be beneficial to prevent the spread of this and other viruses.